Resume Tips for Freshers
Well a lot of freshers have approached me for help and shared their situation of not getting jobs because of no experience. Here I am sharing few tips which can help you building a good resume and get attention of a recruiter.
1. Before going on resume- a basic mistake lot of people do is sending resumes to HR with random subject lines- Please understand HR gets 100s of emails a day.
Tip– Make sure your subject lines are descriptive, carries your name and title applied.
2. Make sure your resume is properly renamed, imagine your desktop folder with multiple files named as resume.pdf, resume new, updated resume, resume 2022, my resume, etc. How a HR is supposed to find your resume with such names?
Tip– Best way to rename your resume is (Your Name-Job Title-YOE) Example– Paras Agrawal-Design Engineer-2 YOE.
3. Starting with resumes- If you are a fresher, no doubt you won’t be having a lot to write, not exceeding a page and then you start putting random out of the box things in your resume.
Tip– It’s alright to make a short one pager resume if it carries all basic information.
4. Put your social URLs in resume to make it easy for a recruiter to check your skills, projects.
Tip– Github, Behance, Hackerearth etc. (Must in case of tech graduates), Non-Techies may avoid this one.
5. Academics- Your resume must carry your College GPAS, College Name, University Name, Year of Graduation.
Tip-Recruiters usually avoid resumes with no GPA or year of graduation mentioned. This gives an idea how academically strong you are.
6. Internship/Project mentions
Tip– Ensure avoiding one liner details of your past internships/College projects and add a detailed description to understand your contribution. (Can even add online URLs to make a live check)
7. Skill-set/Tools or Software Knowledge
Tip– Add your top skills, tools/software knowledge in resume, ensure those are related to the job you are applying. Avoid adding- Written/Verbal Communication, Hard Working, Problem Solving, Managerial Skills etc., no such recruiter focus on these in resume.
8. Awards and Achievements
Tip– Mention few of your top achievements/ awards from academics, contests, sports, other activities.
9. Proper contact details
Tip– Add your contact number, email id and LinkedIn link in your resume. (Ensure if you’re changing your number, email id or LinkedIn url- The same is updated in your resume and job portal profiles as well)
10. Apply wisely For the sake of likes/comments people nowadays make fake posts on LinkedIn by using names/pics of top Mnc’s.
Tip– Avoid commenting Interested, Review my profile, etc. on such posts. How a recruiter is supposed to know about you or contact you with that interested comment? Instead send a connection request/DM to the post author with your job request and resume.